Who We Are
Sharing Hands A Respite Experience (SHARE) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to caring for families where there are children with special needs.
Many great organizations in the Permian Basin provide services, therapies and educational opportunities for children with special needs. At SHARE, we are dedicated to supporting the family members that care for a child with special needs. When familial relationships are intact and each member is happy and healthy, the end result is better long term care for the child with a special need.
SHARE partners with all family members of families where there are children with special needs, supporting their efforts to build and maintain strong and successful families.
SHARE envisions a world where parents who have children with special needs have access to supportive programs that enable families to experience the joy of their journey.
- SHARE will ensure program excellence
- SHARE is committed to the safety of the children in our care
- SHARE will compassionately accept families with children in our care
- SHARE supports immediate and extended family members
During twenty-five years of teaching special education in Midland ISD, Tom Jones witnessed first-hand the desperate lack of support and resources for families with children with special needs.
- 2005 – SHARE was established as a small church ministry, which has grown to a stand-alone 501(c)(3) charitable organization offering respite care in Midland.
- 2006 - SHARE initiated a collaborative effort to start Sibshop, a support program for siblings of children who have special needs. SHARE developed parent support programs, which address the unique needs of parents. By focusing on respite care, parent support, and sibling support services, SHARE has evolved into a nonprofit, which cares for families who have children with special needs.
- 2009 - SHARE became a 501(c)(3) corporation.
- 2011 - SHARE expanded respite care services and parent support programs to Odessa.
- 2012 - SHARE implemented an in-home respite care program for children with special and medical needs. SHARE also began a NICU Parent Support program in partnership with local hospitals.
- 2013 - SHARE partnered with Texas Children’s Hospital and Baylor School of Medicine to host a Genetics Conference to bring expert speakers to the Permian Basin.
- 2014 - SHARE moved offices to the Midland Shared Spaces, which provides us with invaluable shared resources.
- 2016 - SHARE began a collaboration with Agape Counseling Services of West Texas and Samaritan Counseling Services in Midland to offer professional counseling services to our families. Also, SHARE won the Beacon Award for Program Excellence.
- 2017 – SHARE made significant improvements to the consistency of our programming by replacing volunteer room leaders with paid contract staff.
- 2019 - SHARE develops collaborative partnership with University of Texas at Austin Texas Texas Center for Disability Studies where they provide information and bring special seminars to Midland-Odessa